Tuesday 5 March 2013

Silverstone Half Marathon 2013


Hi All,
Lucia and I made the trip up to Northamptonshire on Sunday to run in the Silverstone Half Marathon.  It was touch and go whether Lucia would actually start, as she had not done any serious training since cracking a rib late last year.  However, rather than wait in the cold for me to finish, she decided to take part, and we both made our way to our respective start pens.
I started off ok, and was aiming to keep a steady 1:50 pace.
Now, on paper, running round the Silverstone race track sounds great, but at the end of the day, there's not a lot to see for 95% of the course, the spectators are confined to specific sections, and it did actually get quite boring.  It's a well-organised race, but just rather dull (Pam did warn me a couple of weeks' back!).  The course is basically made up of 3 loops of various sizes, all coming back to the pit area and finishing straight, with a few undulating sections thrown in.
After about 6 or 7 miles, a bitter wind started to take hold, and I slowed down quite a bit.  The last mile was essentially out in the open, and seemed to go on for ever - I came home in just over 1:58 which is not particularly great for me, but looking at the overall results, I was in the top half of the finishers, and 44th in my age category, out of 97.
Lucia came home in 2:51, and had managed to run further than she'd expected to, so she was quite pleased.  She agreed that it wasn't the most exciting run she'd ever done.  Quite nice t-shirts though, although the queue to leave the car park was pretty bad.
Certainly not one we'd consider doing again, but other people seemed to really enjoy it, so I guess it just depends what you like.
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment