Saturday 23 March 2013

Coastal Trail Series - Sussex - Report by Sabine



I woke up this morning of my race in Sussex to a snow blizzard and my first thought was "#*?@~#^*#"! But then I looked out my window and saw the builders outside our house, stomping their feet and hugging a cup of tea to stay warm and I thought "if builders can work in this weather, then I'm sure I can race in this weather as well".
So Jean, Lucia and myself set off, and crawled on the motorways until Brighton thanks to the blizzard and snow gritters.
Anyway, to cut a long story short I missed the start of my half marathon, but was able to downgrade to the 7 miles which started an hour later. By the time we started it had stopped snowing but the wind was blowing us off the start at Birling Gap. Once we got going I didn't find it too bad though as we made our way inland away from the Seven Sisters cliffs. Even though the race was classified as a "moderate", it was still very hilly and slippery underfoot. The views were well worth the effort though. I finished in 1:17, and I thought I might be 1st v40, but was too cold to stay around for prize giving, so will have to wait for the results to be published online.
All in all a really good race with magnificent views all the way, well worth braving the snow for.

1 comment: