Tuesday 3 April 2012

Prague Half Marathon - 31-03-12 by Simon.E

With Fleet Half Marathon selling-out in record time this year, and a spot of decorating beckoning, I decided to escape to the Czech Republic for a quick sight-seeing trip around the City of Prague in the form of their annual Half Marathon (much cheaper than paying for an actual tour!)

Flying time from the Heathrow is only 90 minutes, so I was able to evacuate chez Edwards undetected early Friday morning and arrive in Prague just in time for a spot of luncheon (pancakes). Having only approximately 36 hours to immerse myself in the local culture and inflict my dodgy Borat Czech accent on the locals I decided  to 'walk the City' briefly rather than flounder in the hotel. I started off with a view from Letna Park, before heading down to Czech-out the famous Charles Bridge, visit the Easter Market (filled with the smell of strudel, sausage, beer and delicious baked treats) and witness a mob of stag-do revellers egging-on the Easter bugler at the top of Astronomical Clock Tower in the Old Town Square. Bizarre.

The race was the next day at noon which saw 8000 plus runners from all over Europe crammed into a side road waiting for the start gun, preceeded by a rousing rendition of the national anthem (stirring stuff indeed -I was actually a little choked-up!). The streets were packed with with supporters and well-wishers and the route was lined with historic stuff and several heavy metal bands (and tram lines and cobbles, which very nearly ended me on several occasions). I crossed the finishing line in 1hr 39 mins, happy for the experience but pleased to be getting on a plane 3 hours later, making it home in time for a late tea and before anyone had noticed I'd gone.....before the cry "...and why are you limping?!"




2 comments: