Tuesday 21 February 2012

Wokingham Half Marathon Report by Robin Wakefield

Hi All,

A nice chilly start to Sunday's race, a little windy on some of the open stretches.  A larger field than I seem to remember for Wokingham - it took about 4 minutes to get to the start line once the race got going.  I was on Chris's heels for a mile or so, but he gradually pulled away.  Tony shouted out some encouragement at mile 2, and Martin overtook me at around 3 miles.  I was on target for a 1:50 finish,  but started to feel tired after around 8 miles.  I'd fallen over on some black ice the weekend before, so I was nursing sore ribs - that's my excuse anyway!  Tony was there again at around the 9 mile mark, urging me on.  My last few times for Wokingham have ranged from 1:52:09 - 2:03:12 (that was when it was pushed back to the end of May, in 2009, on what was the hottest day of that year!), so when I crossed the line in 1:54:50, I was pretty happy.  My wife Lucia, was also supporting me this year, so it was nice to see her at the end too!  Congratulations to everyone, especially those who PB'd it, and here's a photo of some of us at the end, courtesy of Lucia.

<<P1030007.JPG>>

Cheers, Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment