Saturday 15 December 2012

Johnson Arabia Dubai Creek Strider's 2012 Dubai Half Marathon


When you arrive in a country that has air conditioned bus shelters, you get a sneaky suspicion that it may become warmish during the daylight hours
My suspicions were confirmed when I turned up at the local Dubai golf club at 0530 in the morning. This was the meeting place and start of the eleventh local half marathon event. 
I participated in last year’s race so knew the routine. This time there were over 1500 runners competing. As daylight was breaking through, you were directed towards our allotted time pens. I plumped for the 1hr 50 to 2hr slot, being optimistic. There were loads of promo tents flogging their wears and dishing out lots of freebies. With the tannoy blaring out info, we lined up for the phased start. I seemed to be in good company as I waited for the kick off. A few alongside me were from Britain and Australia so we exchanged lots of pleasantries and of course injuries tales. 
Temperature now about 18 degrees and we set off with the second phase. With drinks stations at every 5K one did not need to carry any fluids. I did take a gooey gel thingy to consume mid race and swallowed that at about 9 miles. Found out that you do need plenty of water to wash the stuff down as its sticks to your mouth like glue.
You are duty bound to take in the scenery along the route as the views are stunning crossing the creek via the numerous road bridges. The first bridge has the sun just creeping above the horizon and mirrored along the still waters with the Burj Khalifa in the background. I am talking about the tallest building in the world. You may have seen it displayed in the latest “Mission Impossible” film starring Tom Cruise. Just a thought, tallest building, shortest actor! I digress. 
Just passed the halfway mark and entering the old fashioned Souks (local markets) Lots of locals watching these mad runners pass and smiling their support. There were plenty of marshals directing and shouting their encouraging supportive gestures. The temperature now has risen to about 23 degrees and a lot of runners including myself are feeling the heat. I have now reached the final leg and over the last bridge. Watching the fishermen below we witness a guy pull out a very large fish to the delight to all my fellow runners who all gave a loud cheer and applause for the star fisherman. 
Final 200 metres and feeling the strain, I pass the final chip mat to record my time.
Where is that bloody water station? The organisers offer you a free breakfast, but I declined and headed off to my daughter's apartment for a very welcomed family breakfast of our own.
The winner was from Uganda with a time of 1hr 10min 58 and the first Briton was Chris Sellar 1hr 18min 24 and first lady in, British again, Jane Khan 1hr 20min 47 
Back to old blighty and the cold, heh ho! 
Tony Sheridan

No comments:

Post a Comment