Sunday 1 July 2012

"One last thing............."

Dear Windle Valley chums,
 
Tis the eve before jetting out to Arizona, and whilst looking forward to a prairie's new, I just wanted to formally thank everyone at the club for being so fantastic. Everybody I've trained with, and everybody I've raced with and chatted to about running has been a huge inspiration / motivativator and I can't thank you all enough. In a relatively short time, I have achieved many personal goals with the clubs assistance. Hopefully I won't be remembered as the guy who was forever getting injured - though that time spent at the osteo or physio was but a small price to pay and for me; part and parcel of being a runner and finding out about yourself and your limitations.
 
So - Phoenix awaits, and within it, West Valley Runners - same initials as Windle. It'll be even more freaky if they run in Green....maybe i'll be able to inject a bit of Windle spirit into them - if so, I'll be half way home :)
 
Arizonans only race 8 out of 12 months a year, because its just too hot, and my wife tells me to get used to cactuses instead of trees, and drinking Gatorade instead of Lucozade. Well, I like the idea of a challenge, and running in temps well in excess of 100 degrees will certainly be an obstacle; but I will dearly lament the loss of running up and down Portsmouth Road in the pouring rain on a Tuesday night, and losing my concentration on the club 10k as The Steep looms ahead. I ronically, I got lost on my first club 10k, missing 'the hill' out - perhaps it was my brain trying to tell me 'don't go that way Edwards, you'll never make it!' - good times - you guys have truly got a wonderful club there, and I will miss the camararderie and togetherness.
 
Time to sign-off and disappear into the sun-set. Thanks for everything - great people, and lots of fond memories. You've been great friends, and companions in phyiscal self-combustion; putting ourslves through something only 10% the rest of population enjoys and counts as a hobbie. I'll post-up a few races from time-to-time, and if any of you are ever in my neck of the woods, please feel free to look me up.
 
Finally, I'll miss the fantastic awards ceremony / dinner and dance in January, but will be there in sprit to congratulate everybody on their achievements in 2012.
 
Best Wishes,
 
Simon (and family)

No comments:

Post a Comment