Friday 1 June 2012

Edinburgh Marathon Race Report

One word describes how this marathon went for me - interesting.

I was staying with Pete Hansen in Musselburgh, where the marathon finished, so up at 6:30, kit on, and down for an early breakfast of porridge, banana and coffee.  Then a 10-minute taxi ride to the two starts at Holyrood Park - one for the elite/fast runners, beginning at 9:50, and the remainder in the other, setting off at 10:00.  Obviously Pete was in the former, and I wasn't!  I tried to find Kayleigh, but it got very busy very quickly, so I didn't manage to find her to wish her good luck.

Off at 10 o'clock on the dot, and mainly downhill for about the first mile or so, into Holyrood Park itself (where our wives had run the 10k the day before), and then back out onto the main road.  Eventually we dropped down to the promenade, heading east towards Musselburgh.  I reached the 10k mark in around 55 minutes, and put on my bandana, so that I could soak it with water as often as possible - by this time, the sun was out in full force.

We reached Musselburgh at the 10 mile marker; lots of support here, and I saw my wife who was trying unsuccessfully to take a photo.  Then it was out along the coastal road, past the power station, and at around the 13/14 mile mark, I saw the front runners heading back on the opposite side of the road.  A while later I saw Pete looking good - I eventually reached the turnround point at the 18-mile mark.  We then ran into a country estate for a mile or so before emerging out onto the road back to Mussleburgh.  Despite running along the coast, there were still a few slopes here and there, but throughout the course the support was very good, especially in the towns!  Luckily there isn't a hosepipe ban in Scotland, as there were quite a few houses where we were given a welcome spray.

It was as we were nearing the last few miles that strange things started to happen.  I'd had an operation on my back and left arm about 5 weeks ago.  At around the 20 mile mark, I could feel myself starting to lean to the right - no pain, but it was becoming awkward to keep upright.  This steadily got worse, and more uncomfortable, and by about 24 miles, I must have looked like I was running dressed as a banana, but without the costume on, if you know what I mean.  For the last mile, it was quite obvious that I didn't look quite right, as pretty much everyone was shouting out my name with encouragement, but I wasn't about to stop!  I managed to haul myself the last 50 yards over the finish line, in what turned out to be a PB of 4:15:57!  Mixed emotions really.  One of the finish marshals came up and asked if I was ok, which, being a man, I obviously said "yes".  I hung on to her for a minute or so, then walked through to the finish area to pick up my medal (see below) and t-shirt.  By this time, I had recovered reasonably well, and was walking upright again.

All very strange - I will be going to the doctors to see what it might be, but for now I'm pleased I finished it, although a bit disappointed I didn't sneak in under 4:15.

Well done to Pete on his time of 3:38, and big congratulations to Kayleigh on her sub 4:00 finish - 3:58!  I eventually met up with Kayleigh...at Edinburgh Airport on the way home!

I would definitely recommend Edinburgh - certainly a PB-potential.  And finally, if you fancy a laugh, have a look at this article from The Scotsman:
 

Cheers, Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment